Monday, April 20, 2015

Example of Strong Design



 
What Can/Should a Person Do?

I was standing in line at the grocery store yesterday and wondered what I could do right then to help.  I decided to chat with the next person in line. I simply turned to the person and said, "Hi! Darn, I forgot my reuseable bags today. Did you know . . .

  • An estimated one million birds and 100,000 turtles and other sea animals die of starvation each year after ingesting discarded plastic bags which block their digestive tracks.

  • A person uses a plastic carrier bag on average for only 12 minutes; in contrast, a plastic bag can take between 500 to 1000 years to break down in the environment.


  • At least 267 different species are known to have suffered from entanglement or ingestion of plastic marine debris.www.worldwatch.org/node/5565

  • Instead of using a bag I asked the checker to simply put everything back in the cart since I have bags in the car. Then, I bagged my own groceries when I got to the parking lot.

  • My next few blog posts will focus on a series of suggestions, litlle changes that anyone can and should make in their dailiy lives that will have great impact in our community and in our world.

Here's a list so far:
  1. Talk to people and convince at least one person to refuse a plastic and paper bag today.
  2. Convince that one person to convince at lieast one other person and pass it on . . .

What simple things can you do?

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh!!! I really wanted to be there to see people's reaction when you started talking. I already put some paper bags in my car, next time, no more plastic bags.

    Rafaella Pedroso

    ReplyDelete